Being a part of Google developers community means keeping your eyes peeled for all sorts of tech innovations and news within the industry. Google I/O is not only one of them, but one of the most expected.
I am an Android developer and here`s a short outline of what you should know about Google I/O 2014.
What is Google IO?
Google I/O is an annual developer-focused conference held by Google in San Francisco, California. Google I/O features highly technical, in-depth sessions focused on building web, mobile, and enterprise applications with Google and open web technologies such as Android, Chrome, Chrome OS, Google ...
What was expected?
- Android Wear
- Android 5.0
- Android TV
- Android Car
Smart Home Nexus 8 / Nexus 10 (New) Google Plus Google Glasses
As you can see, 50% of the expectations have been met.
Here`s what`s new.
Google presented new Android L Developer Preview version with a new, even flatter design, animations, fonts, shadows, and much more.
- New system buttons, status bar, enhanced notifications.
- New keyboard design.
- Dalvik runtime is completely replaced with ART.
- Android Extension Pack will help to deliver high quality graphic.
- Project Volta - Battery Saver.
- Security patches now will be distributed with Play Services.
Today people check their phones about 125 times a day, and that’s one of the key reasons why Google have released Android Wear. A few months ago, Google presented Android Wear SDK with some limitations, which now have been removed. Samsung & LG have already released their square watches, Moto 360, the first round watch will be released late summer 2014. All smart watches are water resistant.
- All notifications are synchronised with the Android phone.
- With a simple swipe gesture, you can switch between applications or remove them.
- Possibility to add a note or check a message.
- Possibility to pick up a call, reply to a message etc.
- Possibility to listen to music.
- Voice control.
Since in USA people spend at least an hour a day in cars, Google presented Android Auto and Android Auto SDK. Smartphone is connected to the car and all the information is displayed on the dashboard.
- Navigation, music and calls.
- Voice control. You can listen to incoming messages and respond to them.
- Huge Manufacturers Alliance.
- Possibility to create your own applications
Google wants to speed up Smart TV development & unify software. Android Television itself can look for the right film, show actors, recommendations and description.
- You can use smartphone or smartwatch to control TV
- Play games from Play Store
- Stream photos from your phone
- Stream video with Chromecast
- Apple Event 2014 Brings New Devices & Porting to iOS 8
- Developing Chromecast Ready Application for Android Platform
As we can see, Google are trying to polish Android and make it more interactive, also promote it to other technology branches like smart watch, TV, even auto. The next step is a Smart House. Google on their way to world domination.
However, not everything that was expected by the community has been presented at this year’s I/O. Google also love to carry on the intrigue. They sure leave us wanting more. What are you looking forward to most of all? (please leave your comment below)